5) The Italian Au Pair

I had not seen my girlfriend, Adria, for four months, as she had been in Italy working for a family as an au pair(nanny). Of course the whole time she was away we constantly stayed in contact through e-mail and phone calls, always professing how much we missed each other and anxiously awaited to see each other again. She was scheduled to return home on Monday the 20th, when I would then pick her up at the airport.

Little did she know that the Wednesday evening prior to her scheduled return I flew out of SFO to Brescia, Italy where she would hopefully have the surprise of her life. After all of the traveling and time change I did not arrive in Bresica until 2am Friday mourning. After finally arriving, I checked into my hotel and caught a few hours of sleep before getting up at 7am to start unraveling my proposal plans. I put on my brand new Italian suit that I had bought in the states, and left the hotel at about 7:45 to start my search. I had never been to Italy before, but I was able to find the building in which she was living rather quickly, so I began to wait.

I knew that every mourning the father drove her and the little boy to school on his way to work, and she then would walk home. Through previous phone conversations I knew what time to expect them and also what kind of car to look for. Then at approximately 8:10am I watched, hidden around a corner, the blue Audi pull out of the building and head down the street towards the school. I watched to see which direction the car went to get some idea of which direction Adria would be coming back from. After the car left my sight I then began to wait again, knowing that soon I would see my girlfriend for the first time in four months.

It seemed like forever, but after about 10 minutes of watching and waiting, there she was standing across the street walking to her building. I saw her before she saw me, and I wanted to get more in front of her for the surprise. So I quickly ducked behind a bus that was coming down the street to block her view. After getting a few more steps down the street and closer to Adria the bus pulled away from the light, and there we were in Italy, looking at each other in complete amazement from across the street. I had to wait a few more seconds for the traffic to clear, when I then ran across the street to hold her. She looked as though she had seen a ghost, she could not have been more surprised.

We then went for a short walk down the street where we stopped at one of the small local cafes. we ordered a couple of cappuccinos and sat at a quiet little corner table, where we talked for awhile, still amazed to actually be with each other again. After a few minutes of chatting I told her that there was something that I needed to tell her, and that I came there to ask a question. I then pulled the ring out of my pocket, told her that I love her, and asked her to marry me. She quickly said yes, and was now even closer to passing out. After sitting in the cafe for a little while longer, we walked around the city for a while longer. For the next few days we packed in as much touristy stuff as we could, before flying home together on Monday. It was the greatest three days that we have been together yet, and now I can look forward to having those types of days much more frequently!


Doug Bishop

Santa Rosa, CA


The founder and president of Diamond Cutters International, is one of the worlds top diamond experts, as well as a three-time Guinness Book record holder in jewelry design.
Fred The Diamond Guy
Latest posts by Fred The Diamond Guy (see all)

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.

A few steps for you to expect once you submit your form - We will first send you an email confirming that we’ve received your form, so keep an eye out for that.  We will then contact you within 24 hours via your preferred method of contact. We will work with you to setup a complimentary one-on-one consultation with your gemologist.