6) That Night on The Dance Floor

My fiance’ and I met on the first day of college in 1993. We became study partners, best friends and started dating. We took classes together for two years until we ran out of classes to take together. He was going to school for Criminal Justice and I for Education. We stopped dating and didn’t communicate much after being parted from classes together. We went separate ways but always said if we encountered each other again, we would stay together. We both graduated from college, he went to Law School in Houston, Texas and I stayed in our local area to work. He became an attorney and lived in Houston and I became a school teacher and worked at a local Elementary School.

Eleven years later, we were both invited to attend a graduation party of a mutual friend that we had no idea that both of us knew. I had a motorcycle charity ride event all day that raised money for children that needed school supplies. I was pretty tired and was deciding not to go. However, the graduate called me and begged me to attend his party or he would be crushed. I decided to go to the party for a little while by myself. My fiance’ spoke with the graduate on the phone and told him, if left Houston to attend the party in Beaumont, Texas (over 100 miles away), he better have his bride waiting on him when he gets to the party. The graduate laughed jokingly and said yes, he promises.

I had no idea that my life would change on this night.(August 12, 2006) I walked around and was introduced to several people sitting around or dancing. I looked on the dance floor and to my amazement, there he was!!! I poked the closest person to me and asked, is that him, Ron? They had no idea. He left the dance floor and walked in my direction, he looked up and in amazement, our eyes locked and we embraced each other with hugs as if we could catch up on all of the years.

We talked for hours until the party ended, then he walked me to my car. I invited him to get in the car so that I can drive him to his truck because it was so far away. We talked until the sun was rising and watched the sunrise at a local park. We have been together ever since "this" day!

On November 5, 2006, my fiance and I invited our mother’s to join us to eat after church. We are very close to our mother’s and have great relationships with them. They live in Beaumont, Texas, so they drove over 100 miles to Houston, Texas to eat with us. We decided to eat in Kemah, Texas at Pappadeaux. My fiance began telling me how beautiful his life has changed since we have reunited. We were both crying, holding hands and confirming each other’s feelings about each other. We decided to walk on the boardwalk of Kemah before eating and enjoy the sunshine. I noticed that our mother’s were walking a pretty far distance behind us, I figured it was because we were embracing each other, holding hands and smiling into each other’s eyes so much. My fiance stopped in the middle of the boardwalk with tears rolling down his face and said, "I have to ask you a question". He kneeled down in the middle of the boardwalk, holding my hand and said, "Will you give me the pleasure of spending the rest of my life with you? I don’t want to lose you again, you are my soulmate?" I was crying holding him, strangers walking by stopped and started taking pictures with tears in their eyes. I said, "yes, yes, yes!" I looked around to see if our mothers missed the entire proposal and to my amazement his mother was videotaping and my mother was taking photos of the entire engagement even before his knee touched the boardwalk.

This was truly an emotional and spiritual moment for me. I had no idea that he got my ring specially made for me, had it for several weeks, showed both of our mothers and planned for them to be present during the proposal.

It is truly our year of a new beginning and completion, so we will be united on 7-7-07 at 7 o’clock!!!!

Proposal Story By:

Karen Richardson

Beaumont, TX



The founder and president of Diamond Cutters International, is one of the worlds top diamond experts, as well as a three-time Guinness Book record holder in jewelry design.
Fred The Diamond Guy
Latest posts by Fred The Diamond Guy (see all)

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.

A few steps for you to expect once you submit your form - We will first send you an email confirming that we’ve received your form, so keep an eye out for that.  We will then contact you within 24 hours via your preferred method of contact. We will work with you to setup a complimentary one-on-one consultation with your gemologist.